You can set up DirecTV or the DISH Network to use the same Internet connection as your Vonage phone service by connecting your DirecTV or the DISH Network Receiver to your Vonage Phone Adapter.
If you do not know which Vonage phone adapter you have, click here
to identify your Vonage phone adapter model, close the Vonage Phone Adapters article and refer to the model number below.
Phone Adapter Model
DirecTV or DISH Network Support
Vonage Phone Adapter with multiple LAN ports:
- Motorola VT2542 (W)
- Motorola VT 2442
- D-Link VWR (W)
- Linksys RTP300
- Linksys WRTP54G (W)
- Linksys RT31P2
- Linksys WRT54GP2 (W)
(W) see Wireless network connection below
You can connect the Receiver for either of these services and your computer to the same phone adapter.
Connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on the Receiver to one of the LAN port on the Vonage Phone Adapter. Connect your computer to another LAN port on the same Vonage phone adapter.
If your Receiver has a USB port instead of an Ethernet port, you need to connect a wired USB network adapter* to one of the USB ports on the Receiver and the other end to the LAN port on the Vonage Phone Adapter.
*The USB-to-Ethernet adapter is available from electronics retailers such as Radio Shack. They are not available from Vonage.
Vonage Phone Adapters with one LAN port:
- Vonage Box
- Vonage V-Portal
- Motorola VT1005
- Motorola VT2142
- Uniden UIP1869V telephone
To connect a computer and your Receiver simultaneously, you need to add a switch* to expand the number of available LAN Ethernet ports.
*Switches are available from electronics retailers such as Radio Shack. They are not available from Vonage.
Vonage Phone Adapters that do not support connecting a computer and a Receiver simultaneously:
- Linksys PAP2
- Linksys PAP2v2
- UTStarcom F1000 WiFi Telephone
- Cisco ATA-186
- VTech IP8100 Cordless Broadband Telephone
Wireless network connection
If you have a wireless Vonage Phone Adapter (W), you can connect to the Receiver via a wireless network adapter* to one of the USB or Ethernet ports on the Receiver.
*The wireless adapter is available from electronics retailers such as Radio Shack. It is not available from Vonage.
Phone line connection
Vonage strongly recommends that you connect your Receiver to the Vonage Phone Adapter through the Vonage Adapter LAN port with an Ethernet cable.
However, you can connect over a telephone line between the Receiver and any Vonage adapter, but it may not work, it is not recommended, and it is not supported by Vonage Customer Care.
- If you are only using your Vonage Phone Service only to allow your Receiver to make its calls, you can plug the Receiver into the green Port 1 of the Vonage Phone Adapter.
- If you are using your Vonage Phone Service to make voice telephone calls and you want to allow your receiver to also make its calls, you have two options:
- Get a phone line splitter from a local retail electronics store such as Radio Shack. Plug the splitter into the green Port 1 of the Vonage Phone Adapter, then plug your telephone into one plug of the splitter and the Receiver into the other plug of the splitter.
- Add a second phone line from Vonage and plug the Receiver into the green Port 2 of the Vonage phone adapter.