Number Transfer FAQs
How do I transfer my existing phone number to Vonage?
When you purchase a Vonage calling plan by phone or online, or you activate a Vonage adapter that you purchased at a retail location, you are given the option to transfer an existing phone number to Vonage or obtain a new phone number. If you choose to transfer an existing phone number, you are provided the information that you must complete.
How can I verify that my phone number can be transferred to Vonage?
Most landline or mobile phones numbers can be transferred to Vonage. To verify, go to Go to www.vonage.com and scroll down to Do you want to keep your current phone number?. This option is also displayed when you sign up for a Vonage service.
How much does it cost to transfer my phone number to Vonage?
You are not charged to transfer your phone number to Vonage, but your existing company may charge you to transfer a phone number away from their service.
How do I start a number transfer?
|New to Vonage?||Whether you sign up for Vonage service online at www.vonage.com, at a retail location or by phone at 1-800-608-5590, you are asked if you want to transfer an existing phone number and provided the tools to do so at that time.|
|Existing Vonage Customer?||
Should I cancel my service with my current provider before transferring my phone number?
No. Your phone number must remain active with your current phone company/service provider throughout the number transfer process. While it is common practice for most telephone companies to cancel your account when your number transfers to a new service provider, you may want to contact them to confirm the account is closed.
How long does it take to transfer my number?
Once you complete and submit the electronic authorization form, your number transfer takes up to 10 business days to complete. During the number transfer process, we provide you with a temporary virtual phone number so that you can use our services immediately. Check your email for status information on your number transfer. If a problem is encountered, you can sign in to your Online Account to resolve, and you will also find your temporary virtual number listed there.
How do I get status on whether my phone transfer has completed?
You are updated by email and that includes an email that states your transfer is complete. If more information is required to complete your number transfer, you can also sign in to your Online Account and under Account Status, follow instructions to complete the transfer.
What is my Temporary Virtual Number?
Your Temporary Virtual Number is listed in your Online Account.
Why is my Vonage phone ringing if my number has not transferred yet?
Calls from a Vonage phone number will ring on the phone that is attached to your Vonage adapter, because the call is placed over the Vonage network only. This is considered a Vonage-to-Vonage call. You can also receive calls from persons who have your Temporary Virtual Number.
How do I receive calls while my number is transferring?
- If you set up your Vonage adapter and connected a phone, you can receive calls from existing Vonage customers who dial the number you are transferring or you can share your temporary virtual phone number so non-Vonage customers can reach you.
- If you have a iPhone® or Android™, you can also download and use the Extensions® App to make and receive calls on the go for the same rate as your Vonage calling plan, even if you have not set up your Vonage adapter yet.
- If you still have a phone connected to the service you are transferring, incoming calls to the phone number you are transferring will continue to ring that line until the transfer is complete. Once the is complete, these calls will ring through to your Vonage service only.
How do I make calls while my number is transferring?
- If you set up your Vonage adapter and connected a phone, you can just pick up the handset and dial to take advantage of your Vonage calling plan.
- If you have a iPhone® or Android™, you can also download and use the Extensions App to make and receive calls on the go, even if you have not yet set up your Vonage adapter yet.
- If you still have a phone connected to the service you are transferring, you can still place calls until the transfer is complete, but these calls will be at your existing rates, not Vonage.
Should I contact my old phone company to close my account once the number transfer completes?
It is common practice for most telephone companies to cancel your account when the phone number transfers to a new provider. You may want to contact your old provider, after your number transfer completes, to confirm the account was cancelled.
How do I transfer a phone number away from Vonage?
Contact your new service provider. They will request that you complete a Letter of Authorization giving them the ability to request the transfer of your phone number from Vonage. Some carriers require that you transfer from an active account, so make certain your new service provider explains their requirements. There is no charge to transfer your phone number away from Vonage, but some companies do charge to transfer a number to their company or away from their company.
NOTE: You cannot transfer international Virtual phone numbers.