UTStarcom F1000 WiFi Telephone
The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone is a pocket-sized, wireless Internet phone that uses Vonage service anywhere in the world that has Internet access and a Wi-Fi access point.
A Wi-Fi telephone connects to the Internet through wireless network Wi-Fi access points using a technology known as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
You can receive calls from Wi-Fi, Mobile, or land-line callers.
Before you start the installation of the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone, make sure you have the following:
- UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone
- Power Adapter
- Wi-Fi Access Points
Hotspots that require a user name login or credit card entry are not supported at this time. Also some free Wi-Fi access points require a web interface to acknowledge use, which the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone doesn't support.
If you are using the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone for the first time, once the phone has connected to the Internet successfully through a Wi-Fi access point, the telephone needs to be provisioned with the latest configuration and software. This process is automatic and takes several minutes to complete. During this time, several status messages such as downloading, decompressing are displayed on the phone's display. Once complete, the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone will power off. Turn it back on. The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone will now connect to available Wi-Fi access points.
- Remove battery from packaging.
Use ONLY the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone rechargeable battery supplied with your new phone.
- Remove the battery cover. With the back of the phone facing you, press the battery cover release button and lift the cover off in the direction of the arrow.
- Install the battery. Connect the cord of the new battery by firmly inserting the connector into its place. Do not reverse the connector.
- Replace the battery cover until it clicks into place.
The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone comes partially charged, so the phone can be used immediately. Refer to the Charge the Battery section of the phone's User Guide for instructions on fully charging the battery.
- Your UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone has been preconfigured to provide Vonage service through any available open Wi-Fi access point connected to the Internet.
- When you turn on the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone, it searches for available Wi-Fi access points, selects the Wi-Fi access point with the best signal and attempts to connect to it. You will see the message "Connecting to APname" while the phone is attempting to connect.
- Once connected, you will see the message "Registering via APname". When the Vonage screen appears displaying your phone number, you are ready to make and receive calls.
If the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone cannot connect to a Wi-Fi access point, it will keep searching and wear down your battery. Verify Open AP availability. If not found, turn off the phone until you are within range of a Wi-Fi access point.
Wi-Fi Access Points
The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone is 802.11b and 802.11g compliant.
Connect to a Wi-Fi Access Point
The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone will connect to the following types of Wi-Fi access points:
- Open, where no encryption is required.
- WEP encryption, both 64 bit and 128 bit. The encryption key will need to be provided by the Hotspot provider.
- WPA-PSK, where the pre-shared key will need to be provided by the Hotspot provider.
The following list of websites provides a way to search for Wi-Fi access points:
Refer to the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone Quick Start Guide or User CD for connectivity procedures.
NOTE: The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone works best when located within a 100 unobstructed yard radius from a Wi-Fi access point.
Use AUTOSCAN to Find Wi-Fi Access Points
When AUTOSCAN mode is enabled, the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone first searches for one of the four Wi-Fi access point profiles on the phone and connects to the first one active one.
If it does not find any of these profiles activated, it will look outside for an open Wi-Fi access point and connect to the one with the highest signal strength. If it does not see any open Wi-Fi access point, it will display the message, No AP available.
It will continue to go through this loop until it connects to an AP. This will drain the battery very quickly. Please be aware of this when enabling AUTOSCAN, one of the common mistakes is to leave the phone on with AUTOSCAN enabled when driving.
Note: If you only want to connect to the APs in your saved profile, disable AUTOSCAN. This will also conserve the battery usage.
Use While Traveling in Other Countries
You can use the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone while traveling abroad. However, you must be aware of the differences in power supplies. The travel power supply that is included with the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone supports 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz, and has a US-style plug.
If the country you are traveling to does not support a US-style plug, you will need to purchase the appropriate plug adapter (not a voltage converter) if the voltage requirements for that country fall within the 100-240V range.
Callers and Contact List
Display Name of Caller
For the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone to recognize an incoming number and display the caller's name, phone numbers must be saved in an 11 digit format, for example 1-732-555-1234. If the 1 is not entered, the phone will only display the incoming number.
Block Incoming Calls
If you do not want to recieve calls from a particular phone number, put it on your blacklist. The UTStarcomm F1000 prevents calls on your blacklist from ringing your phone. Instead, the call goes directly to your voicemail.
Block a Number as You Add it to Your Phonebook
- Press Menu, press the Navigation key to scroll to Phonebook, press OK.
- Highlight Add Entry and press OK.
- Enter the name and phone number, highlight Blacklist and press OK again.
Block a Number Already in Your Phonebook
- Press Menu, press the Navigation key to scroll to Phonebook, press OK.
- Highlight Search and press OK.
- Highlight the name you want to blacklist and press Details.
- Press Option, highlight Edit and press OK.
- You can edit the name and number and then highlight Blacklist.
- Press OK.
Batteries and Accessories
Vonage does not provide UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone accessories. Spare batteries, charging stands, and other accessories are available from a number of VoIP supply sources, including www.voipsupply.com.
|Battery||The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone battery has approximately five hours of talk time and between 50-100 hours of standby time.
To fully charge the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone battery, use the power supply/charger that came with the phone. The battery of the UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone does not fully charge when using a USB cable connected to a PC.
|Headset or Earpiece||This telephone supports a standard headphone jack that has a round 2.5mm 4 conductor plug (4 silver sections with 3 black rings). A headset/earpiece with this type of jack is usually referred to as a Nokia Style connector and is available at most cell phone accessory retailers or online.|
|Power Supply||The UTStarcom F1000 Wi-Fi telephone installation kit includes a power supply. Vonage recommends that you only use this power supply when using your phone adapter.
NOTE: When traveling abroad, if input voltage is 120V, you need a voltage transformer.
|Locate WAN MAC Address||
Remove the battery cover on the rear of the phone and remove the battery. The address is beneath the battery.
The WAN MAC address is 12 characters in length and contains both letters and numbers. For example: 000F12AB3CDE
This feature is no longer supported by Vonage.
|Daylight Savings Time||
You must adjust the phone to display Daylight Savings Time as follows: