There are several options for setting up and using multiple phones on a single Vonage phone line. One option is to route your Vonage service over the existing internal telephone wiring to multiple phone jacks in your home.
Refer to Use Multiple Phones on One Vonage Line for information on other options.
Important Information on Home Wiring
There are several important factors to consider when deciding if home wiring is the best option for you.
- Telephone lines carry electric voltage. There is always risk of causing a fire or doing damage to your telephone wiring and equipment when you work with any lines that carry voltage.
- Using your home telephone wiring for Vonage service requires that you totally disconnect the telephone wiring inside your home from the telephone company's outside wiring that comes to the house. This disconnection, however, is reversible.
- Modifying the existing telephone wiring can be considered if you live in a single family house. However, if you live in a multi-family dwelling or an apartment building, it is probably not viable to alter the building's telephone wiring without affecting other residents.
- DSL phone service cannot be disconnected from the wiring in your home without also losing Internet service.
- Vonage service will work on a maximum of 1000 feet of wiring and five telephones on one line.
- Vonage does not offer any phone or chat support for home wiring.
Resources on Home Wiring
- Vonage can arrange for professional installation services if you are interested in using your home wiring for your Vonage service but are not comfortable doing the work yourself. Refer to Vonage Professional Installation for details.
- For information and instructions (including wiring diagram) from Vonage customers, refer to Vonage Home Wiring and Installation Guide on the Vonage Forum. The information on this site is not verified or supported by Vonage.
- There are many web sites with information and instructions on using VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service over home telephone wiring. The information on these web sites is not verified or supported by Vonage.